ODDS Meeting Minutes
September 2011 General Membership Meeting Minutes
ODDS General Membership Meeting
Anthony’s Steak House
September 13, 2011
Dr. Joe Hurd welcomed all to the ODDS general membership meeting and introduced himself as the new president for the 2011-2012 year.
II. Speaker Introduction
Dr. John Thomas introduced the speaker for the evening, Dr. Scott DiLorenzo. Dr. DiLorenzo graduated from Creighton University School of Dentistry in 1977, and served in the Air Force before retiring as a Colonel. Dr. DiLorezo currently teaches and conducts research on adhesive bonding materials at Creighton dental.
Dr. Scott DiLorenzo’s topic was “Core Wars: What are the Best Restorative Materials?” He discussed the pro’s and cons of different restorative materials and presented solid scientific material to back his data. His presentation was interesting and entertaining.
IV. ODDS Business Meeting
A. Membership Committee
Dr. Stewart McNally welcomed 18 new ODDS Members
• Joseph Churchill, DDS a 2008 graduate of SUNY at Buffalo School of Dentistry with a GPR from St. Joseph’s Regional Medical Center. He is now working at the Fred LeRoy Health and Wellness Center with Dr. Karen Bober.
• Mark Essner, DDS, A 1999 graduate of Creighton University School of Dentistry, and has a certificate in Endodontics from the University of Alabama in Birmingham. He currently practices at 15750 West Dodge Rd. in Omaha.
• Karen Howard-Swirzinski, DDS, a 2011 graduate of Creighton University School of Dentistry. She is currently enrolled at the UNMC to earn an MD/certificate in Oral Surgery
• Jennifer Jones, DDS, a 2011 Creighton Dental graduate, at UNMC GPR program.
• Aldo Koentjoro
• Katherine Kusek, DDS, a 2011 Creighton Dental graduate, currently pursuing AEGD through UNMC
• Karla Macias-Diaz, DDS, a 1999 Creighton Dental graduate. She has an MS in Endodontics from Kuttler Institute of Advanced Dentistry in 2011. She is currently a full-time faculty member at Creighton School of Dentistry.
• Meghan McMenemy, DDS, a 2011 graduate of Creighton Dental. She is currently employed at Rainbow Dental, 2503 S 140th Circle in Omaha.
• Sarah Meyer, DDS, a 2011 graduate of Creighton Dental, currently working for Parra Family Dentistry at 5011 L St in Omaha.
• David Montgomery, DDS, a 2010 UNMC graduate, and is currently attending an Oral Surgery internship at UNMC.
• David S. Olson, DDS, a 2009 graduate of UNMC College of Dentistry and Advanced Education in General Dentistry from the University of Missouri Kansas City, in 2011. He is currently an associate at Montclair Dental Associates, 12057 West Center Rd in Omaha.
• Julie E. Olson, DDS, a 2009 graduate of the UNMC College of Dentistry and an MS/Orthodontic certificate from the University of Missouri Kansas City in 2011. She currently works at Olson and Monson Orthodontics, 3628 North 90th St in Omaha.
• Ashley Rainbolt, DDS, a 2011 UNMC graduate. She is looking for an associate position.
• Brent Rising, DDS, a 2009 Creighton graduate, currently working at Parra Family Dentistry at 50 and L in Omaha.
• Bartholomew Roach, DDS, a 2011 UNMC graduate, currently working at Parra Family Dentistry at 50th and L in Omaha.
• Amy Ruf, DDS, a 2011 UNMC graduate who is currently working in a group practice at Hillsborough Family Dentistry on 155th St. in Omaha
• Gavin Trogden, DDS, a 2010 graduate on UNMC, employed as an associate at 9006 Ohio St in Omaha
• Anthony Vondra, DDS, a 2005 graduate of UNMC, in private practice at 15672 West Maple Rd. in Omaha
• John Wewell, DDS, MD, a 2006 graduate of UNMC and a 2011 graduate of UNMC with an MD and Certificate OFS. He is employed as a faculty member at the UNMC Oral Maxillofacial Department.
Dr. Stewart McNally encouraged members to urge former members to re-join the ODDS. We currently have 304 members of the ODDS.
B. Changes in Board Leadership
Dr. Hurd recognized Drs. Julie Wees and Mark Latta as board members transitioning off the Board. He welcomed Drs. Stephanie Lake and Gene Gaspard as new board members.
C. Upcoming Activities
Dr. Hurd announced ODDS membership activities for the next few months.
• House of Delegates Meeting in Kearney Sept 16, 2011, starting at 3:30 PM following the 5th District Meeting.
• October 11, 2011 General Membership Meeting speaker will be Vivianne Chaumont, from the Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services.
• On November 8th the ODDS will host “Bring Your Dental Assistant to ODDS” night.
• The annual holiday party will be held December 2, 2011 at Glo Lounge, same as last year.
D. Treasurer’s Report
Dr. Gary Westerman reported as of September 13, 2011 the ODDS Revenues were $11393.40. Expenditures were $5379.92. Adjusted fund balance was $78475.42. Copies of next year’s budget (balanced) were provided on each table, and it was approved by the general membership. Dr. Westerman reminded the group that a good portion of our funds come from sponsors.
Dr. Hurd welcomed our sponsors and gave them each an opportunity to say a few words.
• Presenting sponsor Bob Diers spoke about his recent trip to China. They traveled to many location where most of the Chinese people had never seen anyone from the US. They were photographed many times. Diers insurance will be announcing a new benefit for NDA members: health insurance that includes a good quality discounted cancer plan. They will kick off this new benefit at the 5th District Meeting coming up soon.
• Presenting sponsor Eric Nuss from Henry Schein thanked the ODDS members for their business. This is the beginning of their second year of sponsorship. Henry Schein will be working the Iowa MIssion of Mercy in Sioux City, Iowa. Eric encouraged dentists from ODDS to participate and said their Nebraska dental licenses will be honored in Iowa. The event will be held November 18-19, 2011.
• Supporting sponsor from Patterson Dental was not in attendance.
• Dr. Glow from Midwest Oral Maxillofacial Surgery was recognized for their supporting sponsorship.
• One-time sponsor: Paul Reicher from CareStream Dental introduced himself and encouraged participation at the Iowa MOM. Paul told about CareStream’s Software products including many digital items using 3-D technology. He showed the new WiFi digital sensor that has no plug-in or USB.
F. Nominating Committee
Dr. Scott Morrison took nominations from the floor for members of the nominating committee. The following members were nominated, and the results will be announced at next month’s meeting: Drs. Stephanie Lake, Kathy DeFord, Karen Bober, Ben Hardy, Greg Beals, Steve Pryor, Jim McKnight and David Maixner
The ODDS members were requested to vote for five.
G. Legislative Committee
Dr. Scott Morrison announced a State Town Hall Meeting to be held October 12, 2011 from 4-6 PM at the Food Bank at 105th and J Streets. Dr. Morrison encouraged as many dentists as possible to attend so our voice will be heard. Dr. Hurd urged the ODDS membership to involve themselves in giving opinions in the legislative process.
H. ADA Delegates Report
Drs. Eric Hodges and Dr. Ken Hermsen are our delegates, and will be giving us a report after the National that will be held meeting next month.
I. Necrology Committee
Dr. Diane Ochuba announced the deaths of two of our colleagues.
• Dr. Richard Siems, a 1968 Creighton Dental graduate died July 18, 2011 in Fremont at the age of 68.
• Dr. Albert Brown passed away on August 14, 2011 at the age of 105.His death gained national attention because he was a survivor of the Butaan Death March. Born in 1905 in North Platte, he was a quarterback for the Creighton University football team and graduated from the dental school in 1927. He practiced in Council Bluffs for ten years before being called to active duty after the start of World War II. He was stationed in the Phillipines where he was captured by the Japanese. He was nearly 40 years old when he endured the Bataan Death March. Dr. Brown remained a POW until the end of the war. After his harrowing war experiences his medical doctor told him to enjoy the next few years because he was not expected to live past the age of 50. Dr. Brown moved with his family to California, attended college again and rented out property to some of the big name movie stars.
Cards were sent to the families on behalf of the the ODDS. We observed a moment of silence in their behalf.
J. ODDS Trustee and Bylaws Committee
Dr. Marty Matz announced the committee is in the final revision process of the bylaws. The NDA is also revising by laws.
At the July 22, 2011 meeting, the topic of expanded functions for dental assistants was discussed.
The vacancy of the State Dental Director position was the most pressing issue. We need to be soliciting dentist to fill this position. Possibly a retired dentist? If we don’t fill it with a dentist they will fill it with whomever they find.
Dr. Matz mentioned it was good to have Dr.Ken Hermsen at the helm of the NDA.
Dr. Hurd reported on NMOM that was held in Grand Island June 3-4, 2011.More than 1300 patients were seen, and another 1000 were turned away. More than 6200 procedures were completed and about $617,000.00 of care was provided. Dr. Hurd had those who helped with NMOM stand to be recognized. The next NMOM will be July 13-14, 2012 in Alliance.
L.The NDA House of Delegates meeting will be held next Friday Sept 23 in Kearney, following the District V meeting. Delegates should go online to download and print out information for the meeting.
M. New Business
• Dr. Bob Roesch announced the presenters for the NDA spring meeting. The annual meeting will be held April 12-15, 2012 in LaVista at the Embassy Suites. The topics to be presented include Oral Surgery, Implants, CT Cone Beam interpretation, Removable Prosthodontics, and others.
• Dr. Randy Nordstrom announced next year’s ODDS golf outing, Friday May 25, 2012. There will be a golf shotgun start 8AM. Sponsorships for students to participate will be available. We will combine with Lincoln again if they are interested.
Dr. Hurd presented our past president Dr. Morrison with a gift in appreciation for his service to the ODDS. Scott has served for 16 years as the ODDS board secretary, and is a past president of the NDA. These are just a few of the roles he has served.
The meeting was adjourned at 8:15 PM. Respectfully submitted, Dr. Kathy DeFord, Secretary